Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Quiet for Christmas

I'm giving myself the gift of Quiet this Christmas season.

I spend hours every day reading blogs.  Good ones.  I read about current events, politics, theology, ecclesiology, missions, science, cooking, crafting... I'm addicted to information.  I've always been a reader, since I was a little child, and I enjoy having a broad range of topics to learn about.  Staying informed is part of being a responsible citizen, after all, and a responsible part of the Church.

All of those are good things, to a point.  But sometimes, all those topics, all those voices, all those websites, become like so much noise, drowning out my own voice, my own heart.

The Christmas songs are playing, the lights are going up, and in the midst of trying to figure out what I want to get and give for Christmas, I have rediscovered Florence + the Machine's fantastic anthem "Shake It Out," and somehow, it has become my Advent theme song.

I am done with my graceless heart
So tonight I'm gonna cut it out and then restart
'Cause I like to keep my issues drawn
It's always darkest before the dawn

Shake it out! Shake it out!
Shake it out! Shake it out!
And it's hard to dance with a devil on your back
So shake him off!

I just want some quiet, some time to think.

And so I'm taking it.  Today, I cut my Google Reader list down from 25+ blogs to 6.  Just 6!  And for the rest of 2012, I hereby forswear any news program that isn't aired between 10 pm and 11 pm on Comedy Central.

After Christmas is over, I might pick some of them back up.  I might not.  It depends on what I find while I sit in the quiet, I guess.

This is going to be good!

No comments:

Post a Comment