Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Up-day

My mother and brother are both diagnosed, medicated bi-polar patients.  (Mental illness is like eye color in our family; it's not so much a matter of if as it is what shade.)  Sometimes I wonder if I inherited some of their tendency toward extremes. 

The last time I posted, I felt awful.  Useless.  Lethargic.  Those are normal down-day feelings.  Judging by the excitement I felt about vacuuming my window sills and then the overwhelming need to take the vacuum apart to clean it, today is an up-day.  For many years now, I have been aware of this cycle in my moods, and while it isn't so pronounced that I feel like I need treatment, I sometimes really wonder if it's completely normal.

But normal or not, it's me.  And since today is an up-day, I'm going to enjoy it while it's here, and get some things done before the energy levels off and I start downhill again.

4 comments:

  1. LIsa-

    I've been reading through here today. I love your voice. I love the way you write straight from your heart. Thanks to Greg for the link!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! As I have written here before, writing is praying for me. Cleansing. I need a place where I can be myself, and Blogger makes that quick and easy for this stay-at-home mama!

      Delete
  2. I can relate to this feeling. I have days when I can barely move off of the couch, and other days when I suddenly need to rearrange a room. Many in my family have OCD, my brother having the most severe case, and often when I am having my cleaning impulses, I wonder if I have it too, just like you said though, not bad enough to require treatment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you can relate. It can be hard to have these little mental "glitches," things that cause us problems but aren't bad enough to be considered the "real thing."

      Delete