Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Saying yes...

When the director of our church's annual singing Christmas Tree production asked me to join the choir this year, it was worth saying yes just to see her expression change from hopelessness to pure joy (not that I am a fantastic singer, but I can match pitch and she needed some altos.)

But then at Sunday's practice, as we practiced an arrangement of "Hark, the Herald Angels Sing," while my mouth was busy finding notes and making harmonies, my heart was saying, "I'm just not ready for this."

I'm not ready to sing about "joyful, all ye nations rise," because I'm too worried about our dysfunctional nation, and the other nations in the world that seem ready to implode or explode or bomb their neighbors or their own dissenting citizens...

I'm not ready to sing about "light and life to all he brings, ris'n with healing in his wings," because my mind has been full of situations, in my life and in the lives of my friends, that seem to have no help.

At the end of practice, we spent a little time on this beautiful song called, "We Who Were Walking in Darkness," and as we sang those words again and again, I found myself there.  As beautiful as my life is, when I let my worries overwhelm me, I go back to walking around in the dark.

I've spent enough of my life in darkness.  I crave the light of Christ, and so I guess I'm gonna have to make some room for Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment