Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Newton's Third Law of Crazy

Yesterday's hopeful, optimistic mood has given way to an equal, opposite despair today.  (I frequently see these ups and downs in my moods and worry that some of my mother's bipolar-ness made its way into my DNA... but I'll leave that to ponder another time.)

Last night was awful.  Joel didn't sleep well, as evidenced by the dark circles under his eyes, and he had a fever (which is lower but still present today, as is a chin covered in drool and a shiny bump in his gums), so the night was awful.  I can't put him to sleep.  If he falls asleep in my arms, he can't be put down, and even if I continue to hold him, sleep doesn't last long.

I'm not sure what to do.  I have tried everything I can imagine.  Eventually I know this stage will pass, but since he is going to be suffering until it does, I'm not sure how that is supposed to comfort or encourage me.

[update 11:59 a.m.]: He's asleep!  In his own bed, of all places! He has been so tired all morning, and finally I put him in his crib and just patted (and patted, and patted, and patted some more) until he fell asleep.  At last, something that resembles success for today!

No comments:

Post a Comment