Friday, May 13, 2011

A Mother's Day

NB: I started this post on Mothers' Day, May 8, 2011.
 
This evening, only moments ago, in fact, I watched something beautiful happen. 

The weather being finally appropriate for outdoor activities, Greg had the youth group playing some demented version of wiffleball in our back yard.  During the game, Sophie took a bag of her candy around to each teenager and let them choose a piece.  Then she spent some time sticking the plastic bats through the chain link fence and pretending they were telescopes.  After that, she rode around and around on her new stick horse, trying to figure out how to ride and keep her hat on at the same time.

And no one thought anything of it.  No one ran her over, or got annoyed because they had to watch out for her.  They are used to her being there.  (In fact, the girls often seem to me more interested in Sophie than in the game.)  It blesses me to see someone love my kids. 

*       *       *       *       *       *       *

I started this post as a reflection on Mothers' Day, intending just to capture one of the little moments that I savor as a mom.  True to the title, I am just now finishing it, 6 days later. 

Since I started writing this post, I have done loads of dishes and laundry, reluctantly left my babes to go to work four times, and turned my house upside down in preparation for a garage sale (tomorrow! finally!!).  I have done nothing extraordinary.

And yet my life is just that: extraordinary.  Absolutely extraordinary.

Sometimes, as I have discussed before, I feel like I could easily be crushed under the weight of all the blessings I have been given:

Sophie's little voice, filling the house with off-key songs of delight
the intoxicating smell of Joel's little baby head
talking with Greg as I / we make dinner
Sophie dancing
Joel's look of utter happiness when he sees my face
Warm little bodies tucked into bed for snuggles
Greg's comforting presence, keeping my night-fears at bay


It is staggering to stand surveying these gifts and remember that once, many years ago, I didn't even think I'd live to be 30, much less having 30 be the best year of my life thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment